iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: My Island Home  (Read 6854 times)

ipacific

• Administrator
My Island Home
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »

Talofa. As an American, 54 year-old woman, divorced/single, mother of 2 incredible grown children, I have always yearned to return to my island home. Yes, when I was young (11-13), my parents taught school for the American Government Overseas. This was circa 1962-1964. What a childhood!! We lived in Pago Pago on the island of Tutuila. The government had just built a housing unit for incoming American teachers. There were only 50 American families (or less) that lived on the island at the same time we did. There was NO tourism. Upon returning stateside I discovered that not all American families were as fortunate as mine, to have experienced living in a foreign land. It has always been my dream to return to the island paradise that I still call my "island home". Any ideas on how I can return would be appreciated. Tofa.
Deb Tobias
dtobias@kconline.com

Re: My Island Home

What do you mean by how you can return? Are you asking about which documents you require to enter the island of Tutuila?

Pago Pago, American Samoa is a territory of the United States, therefore, any U.S. citizen can enter the island with just your passport and a valid I.D.

Prior to visiting, you should google hotels on Tutuila and see which one meets your buget. Hawaiian Air is still the only airline that can fly you in from Hawaii. Very expensive in my opinion. You can also try the cruise lines, which is a bit more, but it comes with accomodations and an endless supply of food.
helper
Email: kingfob@hotmail.com

Re: Re: My Island Home
Thanks for the helpful info Helper. I have a US Passport. I was looking for an economical way (ahem) to travel. I'll look into air vs. cruise. I will be traveling from Chicago. Chicago>Los Angeles>Hawaii>Tutuila. When I lived in Pago Pago there was only one English Cruise Liner (whitesider)that came 1 day per month. My Mother and Father marked the day on their calendar each month...when the Brits got off to visit the island, my Mother and Father would board and head directly for the air-conditioned lounge. Can you tell me if "Goat Island Club" still exists? Or the "Turtle" (auditorium)? Walt Disney visited Pago Pago when I was there. He was doing reasearch for "The Jungle Book" movie. We didn't hear about JFK's assasination for a week...no phone, no TV, no news services...as primitive as can be One more thing. There is a legend in one of the small villages on Tutuila called "The Shark and the Turtle". The story goes that many years ago there was a famine on the island. In order to help feed their family a Mother and her Daughter jumped into the Pacific only to drown. The village was thankful and prayed and sang at the site to honor their fellow villagers selfless act. To this day (I am an eye-witness many times) when the villagers go to the cliff and chant, within a few minutes, swimming right below the cliff, a single shark and a single tortoise appear as they circle around the cove. The villagers believe that the Mother was reincarnated as the shark and the daughter the turtle. The kicker is that only ONE shark and ONE turtle appear AND they are mortal enemies. Thanks. RSVP. Thanks again. Fa, Deb
Email: dtobias@kconline.com

yup, thats right as 'helper' said.
if you have a passport, u can use that.
if you still have an Samoan ID, that'll work too.
whats good is also having contact info of people in american samoa. just in case.
that's pretty much it, i used to work for HAL, and i agree wit' helper again, its very expensive. They're taking advantage of the fact that they are the only Commercial carrier to PPG. I loved it wen Aloha was flying there...but oh welz
fa~ Ms. KaYa Rose
wickedwahine

The cruise line is my next trip to samoa. I've visited with people who have taken that route and they love it.

The laumei, turtle, auditorium is still there. I'm not so sure about the club you mentioned. I never had the chance to witness the shark and turtle, but the story is told to every generation. My mother told it to us children when we were still in our early teens. It's still vivid in my mind as if it was yesterday when she told it to us. I'm glad you were able to actually witness it.

helper

OH and LOL@your folks running for the airconditioned cabins. Alot of homes in Tutuila are equipped with A/C now. I believe all the hotels have air as well. Don't you love technology...:)
helper

Talofa Helper. You sound so knowledgeable about Samoa. Have you visited there often? May I ask what cruise line travels from Hawaii to American Samoa? I'd like to investigate the possibility of traveling by ship. Oh boy, I'm getting excited about putting an itinerary together and actually going instaed of dreaming. Thanks again. Tofa Souifua
Deb Tobias

Hi Deb,
I know the Princess Cruise Lines cruise American Samoa, but let me call some friends who work in the industry, and find out which other cruise lines have Tutuila on their route.
I hope I know a little about Samoa since I grew up there for the first 12 yrs. of my life, lol...:)
helper

I see. No wonder you're familiar with the islands. When did you live there? Of course, that will reveal your age :) What did your parents do? The school that I went to was right on the bay. I think there were 3 or 4 classrooms for grades 1-8. My Samoan classmates would swim during recess, catch an octopus or two, hang the octopus on their desk and eat it raw for lunch...ewwwwwwwe!!! I was happy with my peanut butter sandwich, as long as my mother picked out all of the roaches from the bread slices. Are you of Samoan descent? If you would rather e-mail me directly, that would be fine. I appreciate your help in researching cruise lines. Have a great day.
Deb Tobias

Re: Re: Re: My Island Home
Ewwww@raw octopus!!! I love seafood but even I draw the line at raw octopus. Cooked in coconut milk with spices, now that I can handle, but not raw, lol...

I am Samoan. I left Samoa at 12 years old, but I still remember it as if it was yesterday. My folks were farmers, but valued education, hence our migration to the U.S. mainland.

I have to go out of town for business, but I will email you on your email when I get back. Until then have a great day.
helper

Talofa Deb,
Drop me an email at the above address and I will tell you all about Tutuila. I was born and raised here, traveled and lived stateside for a while and then returned 3 years ago. I am using a public computer at the moment, but I will get back to you ASAP tomorrow.
crystal
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Talofa. As an American, 54 year-old woman, divorced/single, mother of 2 incredible grown children, I have always yearned to return to my island home. Yes, when I was young (11-13), my parents taught school for the American Government Overseas. This was circa 1962-1964. What a childhood!! We lived in Pago Pago on the island of Tutuila. The government had just built a housing unit for incoming American teachers. There were only 50 American families (or less) that lived on the island at the same time we did. There was NO tourism. Upon returning stateside I discovered that not all American families were as fortunate as mine, to have experienced living in a foreign land. It has always been my dream to return to the island paradise that I still call my "island home". Any ideas on how I can return would be appreciated. Tofa. Deb
Email: crystal.teo@rcdnet.net

Sieni Toe

Taloa lava from Samoa, Deb...
here are some sites you may find useful/interesting (some are probably already on the 'links' page for this site...):

http://ashpo.org/index.htm
http://doc.asg.as/
http://www.nps.gov/npsa/
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/samoa/
http://pagopago.com/
Email: sienitoe@yahoo.com

Talofa you mention that you were a teacher there in SAmoa and have two grown children. Is one of your kids name Ms Converse. She was american and her and her family use to live in leone housing that were for teachers. Just curious. Ulu

lanceconverse

Re: My Island Home - ULU
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:54:39 AM »
If you are trying to get in touch with Ms Converse, i can probably help you depending on which Ms Converse you are looking for -
Ms Converse (nancy married to bob) the teacher is my mother and Ms. Converse (Kirsten) the daughter is my sister (about 40 years old) now living in California.

I lived in Samoa in the mid 60s to 70s and my family moved to the mainland.  The family then moved back to Samoa in the early 80s through the 90s.

Thanks

Lance Converse

414patty

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 08:19:26 AM »
I would love to live in Samoa. How is it to live in such an awesome place?

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum