iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: 2009 American Samoa quarter  (Read 8665 times)

ipacific

• Administrator
2009 American Samoa quarter
« on: January 12, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
Governor Togiola announces 2009 American Samoa coin

(UTULEI) -  Governor Togiola Tulafono announced today that he has been formally advised by the United States Mint that the American Samoa quarter is included in the six new designs that will grace the twenty-five cent coins issued next year to honor the District of Columbia and the five United States territories: American Samoa, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, United States Virgin Islands and Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI). The coins will be put into circulation in approximately two-month intervals throughout the year.

Governor Togiola said he has been informed by the US Mint that, like the 50 State Quarters Program before it, these new quarters will encourage Americans to appreciate the unique history of the District of Columbia and the territories of the United States.

“This is great news as we get closer and closer to the release of our 25 cent coin,” said Governor Togiola. “The US Mint says that while the quarters focus on each territory’s individuality, they also recognize the common thread that unites all of us."

Governor Togiola said the quarter honoring the District of Columbia debuts in late January 2009 and American Samoa will be the fourth coin issued next year, after Puerto Rico and Guam. US Virgin Islands and CNMI will be issued last.

The obverse (heads side) of all six 2009 District of Columbia and U.S. Territories Quarters will continue to display the familiar image of President George Washington, the inscription "In God We Trust" will continue to appear on the obverse of the quarter, as well as the words "United States of America," "Quarter Dollar," and "Liberty."   

“The design on the tails side (reverse) of our quarter features the ava bowl, whisk and staff used in our special Samoan ceremonies,” said Governor Togiola. “SAMOA MUAMUA LE ATUA (Samoa, God is First), our official motto, is also inscribed. And like all the new quarters, the coins will continue to bear the standard inscription E PLURIBUS UNUM and the year, 2009.”

Governor Togiola expressed his delight and gratitude to the people of American Samoa for being patient with the process of designing a quarter to honor American Samoa.

“This process began in late January of this year, and now almost a year later, the US Mint is preparing to issue our 25 cent coin during the New Year. I wish to congratulate and say thanks to all who have supported this effort, to those who made artwork submissions, and to the three local artists whose submissions helped the US Mint to formulate the narratives which inspired the creation of the three concept designs and that allowed us to select the final design that will appear on our coin. Although their wonderful work was not the actual design selected and depicted on the upcoming coin, it is important that I recognize the work of our local artists Christopher Lafoa'i, Henry Utoaluga, and Mark Ashley Faulkner, whose submissions were selected to help the Territorial Coin committee with the narratives required by the selection process established by the US Mint. Thank you for your contribution and we look forward to American Samoa’s quarter to be issued in 2009 and allow it to be a reminder of our traditions, our way of life and what makes us a unique part of the United States.”

Penina O le Vasaloloa

Re: 2009 American Samoa quarter
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »
I really like the design, as well as adding it to my collection of quarters.
Above all, be TRUE to yourself, and if you cannot put your HEART in it, take yourself out of it. " <

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum