iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: Samoan culture, fa'a Samoa  (Read 17606 times)

ipacific

• Administrator
Samoan culture, fa'a Samoa
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:57:06 PM »
The Samoan way remains strong in Samoa after almost 200 years of outside influence from european and new world countries.

Geographically located in the heart of Polynesia, the Samoan culture continues to be a  part of every day life and the people are among the last remaining traditional Polynesians.   While industrialization and modern technology are not only incorporated but embraced as  an integral part of today’s society, ethnic Samoan culture known as fa’asamoa (the  Samoan way) remains robust and continues to be the driving force behind the religious,  cultural and social lifestyles of the people. The majority of American Samoans are  bilingual, speaking both English and Samoan. 

The interwoven threads of family, church,  village and respect are tightly sewn into the  fabric of the Samoan culture, which has  survived for 3,000 years.  The introduction of  Christianity had a profound impact on  Samoan culture and people, who remain  deeply religious to this day. The colorful  variety of hand-woven baskets, fans and  mats, skillful wood carvings and the fine art  of siapo (tapa cloth) are positive indicators  that the Samoan culture remains strong and  vibrant.

However, it is the lavish fiafia  performances, which include traditional siva  dances to the synchronized rhythm of drums,  vocals, and musical instruments, followed by  the energetic fire-knife dances that often  generate the most delightful and intoxicating  form of cultural entertainment, leaving the  spectator with a profound sense of awe and  taste of Polynesia at its finest. 

mako

Re: Samoan culture, fa'a Samoa
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:18:50 AM »
Thank you for your insight into the Samoan way. I have a very special friend with a Samoan background, and would very much like to know how I can understand more about the family, church, village and respect from the point of view of Samoan people. I feel very much like an outsider, and want to close the gap between my friend's family and myself as much as possible by learning as much as I can. Can you please help me?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Tavita Tusitala

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:24:03 AM »
From an anthropologist point for view, "Samoan Village," by Holmes is often used in courses to understand the structure and customs of traditional Samoan life.
As far as Samoan culture off the rock, that has wide variations.

minhhanh_1993

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:36:07 PM »
The interwoven threads of family, church,  village and respect are tightly sewn into the  fabric of the Samoan culture, which has  survived for 3,000 years.  The introduction of  Christianity had a profound impact on  Samoan culture and people, who remain  deeply religious to this day.

Annie in Oregon

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:09:22 PM »
I would like to like to visit American Samoa with my young daughter next year for about 10 days probably in August 2011. I'm not sure where the best place to start would be are there any tours that maybe guide you to more than one area. I have contacted a few travel agents but have not had a response from them yet. I have heard it is beutiful of course (some of the most beutiful people, and earth I will ever see are in American Samoa) and very friendly. It is also supposed to be pretty safe for woman who are traveling alone (any area's we should avoid??) I have heard different ideas about how American Samoan People feel about visitor's from the mainland (is it ok would it make local people unhappy?? Any information would be very helpful. Thank You

liumingzhu

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:11:57 AM »
Thank you for your insight into the Samoan way. I have a very special friend with a Samoan background, and would very much like to know how I can understand more about the family, church, village and respect from the point of view of Samoan people. I feel very much like an outsider, and want to close the gap between my friend's family and myself as much as possible by learning as much as I can.

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum