iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: Blunt’s Point, military history above Utulei Village,  (Read 4961 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ipacific

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 395
Blunt’s Point, military history above Utulei Village,
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:08:58 AM »
Blunt’s Point A walk above the downtown area to see some WWII artifacts in American Samoa.
Among some of American Samoa’s “hidden” treasures are the historic artifacts dating  back to the Second World War.
 In the town of Utulei, Blunt’s Point is the location of two  six inch naval guns mounted in 1941, which protected the entrance to Pago Pago Harbor  during WWII.  During that time, Pago Pago was a strategic refueling and supply depot  for the US Navy.  The site also has a command bunker and offers a great lookout point. 
Along the trail are various military sites including six anti-craft batteries, ammunition  magazines, a wood fire steam generator, signal equipment and a rail tram for transporting  heavy gear from sea level.  John Enright, the leading expert from the American Samoa  Historic Preservation Office, is always happy to host tours to the many historic sites of  American Samoa.    American Samoa Historic Preservation Office 
Department of Parks and Recreation 
Pago Pago, American Samoa,  96799 
Phone: 684) 633-2384  Fax: (684) 633-2367 
Contact: John Enright 

 


hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum