iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: Manua Islands- Ta'u, Ofu and Olosega  (Read 10218 times)

ipacific

• Administrator
Manua Islands- Ta'u, Ofu and Olosega
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:30:46 AM »
Manua Islands
    While the island of Tutuila hosts many scenic and historic attractions, many people agree  that some of American Samoa’s best kept secrets are found in the neighboring Manu’a  Islands.  Here, the twin-islands of Ofu and Olosega and the legendary island of Ta’u are  truly among the most magnificent islands in all of Polynesia.  Many local residents and  tourism experts believe that the Manu’a Islands are on the threshold of becoming the  “new frontier” of tourism in the South Pacific. 

tulano

Re: Manua Islands- Ta'u, Ofu and Olosega
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »
hello and greetings. I just joined this website because I feel it is necessary to reconnect with fellow brothers and sisters from youre beautiful Island of Manu'a.  I am from Atafu, Tokelau and I am retracing the history of my ancestors of which my research has brought me to Manu'a and why I am on this site.  Oral tradition says that in times gone by Tui Atafu maintained links with Tui Manu'a. 

Interestingly enough this link relationship is tied to a settlement on Kapa in the Vava'u Group of Tonga - a lapita site.  I would explain more but it would be a long story.  However the ongoing good work of Universities through research and science is providing valuable information which will unlock more information. Reports by Addison, D. (archeology of Atafu) and Best, S. highlights this link. 

I would like to add that I have been relying on external sources and science to confirm possible ties so to avoid bias on my part. Appreciate your reply and hope that God will assist us in revealing more about our history.  God bless.  Manuia

tulano toloa

http://www.lapita-voyage.org/en/scientific_objectives.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK9pRWvlsDk

Tavita Tusitala

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 12:27:59 PM »

Hi Tulano,
That is real interesting. There are so many connections and historic stories to come from new studies. I hope you will share more about the island connections!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK9pRWvlsDk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK9pRWvlsDk</a>

tulano

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 11:17:16 PM »
Yes it will be great to contribute and share those connections.  I also wonder if people will be happy for me to ask questions regarding the culture of Manu'a because it is relevant to questions i need to discover.  I understand on a forum it may be difficult to achieve this because people have their own beliefs however we are open minded and appreciate life as God has provided us with whether it is small or great in quantity.

I hope any dialogue will be in the spirit of sharing and understanding as our ancestors had done through their passage on many shores throughout Polynesia and the whole of the Pacific.  I will look forward to continuing this dialogue.  God bless

Tulano

mokesina

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:41:09 PM »

tulano, welcome to ipacific forum :)

tulano

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:11:49 PM »
According to Commodore Wilkes,  Manu’a presented many and very striking differences to other islands of the Samoa group.  “Their canoes, from personal observation present many differences from those to the westward.  He describes them as being the best he had seen – as being built of log, having upon it pieces fastened together to raise them sufficiently high.  They are thirty or forty feet long, partly covered over at each end and are very swift, the chief usually sitting in the forward platform or deck.  They have an outrigger which is not so far removed from the canoe as is usual.  Such canoes most certainly present a very wide difference to those in use in other parts of the group, and with many other very striking differences, seem to point most clearly to some difference of origin”. 

From:   Volume 4 1895 > Volume 4, No. 1 > Samoa: whence peopled? by John B. Stair, p 47-58

What are people's views to this and also because the article states that Manu'a was first settled.

Our travel partners
Tours New Zealands's South and North Islands.
Tours in Rotorua See romantic Rotorua

Find a hotel in Australia or New Zealand
Venere
Air, Hotel, car
Save on Tickets, hotels and cars
Find s South Pacific Cruise
Over 100 fabulous South Pacific cruises from IAN.
Australia, New Zealand Accommodations and more destinations.
Hotels from Booking.com

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum