iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: Samoa travel tips & advice  (Read 12102 times)

chithanh119

Samoa travel tips & advice
« on: July 04, 2009, 03:03:10 AM »
There’s freshwater swimming available at Falefa Falls, or diving and snorkeling in the Palolo Deep Marine Reserves on Upolu Island. You can take a turn sliding down the natural rock slide that forms Papase’ea Rock, into the fresh water pool at the bottom. If you’re a water buff, you’ll be in paradise here in Samoa. But, there’s more to experience in Samoa than just the water.

If you’re an outdoor enthusiast, pack up some snacks and beverages, and head out on a hike along one of the many routes located all over the islands. There are coastal walks for the easy going or mountain treks for the more energetic. You can take a guided tour through the rainforests of Samoa, and learn about the indigenous animals that live there. Of course, if you head out anywhere in Samoa without a guide you should respect local customs and obtain permission for the land owner.

On top of Mount Vaea you can see the final resting place of the renowned Scottish poet, Robert Louis Stevenson. Stevenson spent the last five years of his life in this remarkable country, inspired right up until the end by its captivating beauty. His house was restored, and officially opened as the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum in 1994 commemorating the 100th anniversary of his death.

Western style food is available in Samoa, but for a real taste of the Polynesian culture try some local foods. The national specialties of Samoa are roast suckling pig, oka (raw fish in coconut cream), Palusami (taro leaves baked in coconut cream), fresh octopus and, of course, the freshest fruit around.

AnneJohnson

Re: Samoa travel tips & advice
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:35:38 PM »
What a place. There is always laughter around you. What a happy- go-lucky and carefree existence. The pigs and chickens and dogs that roamed freely through the villages as we made our way to Apia, (the capital) - on that two-way narrow road.

The villages spread through the crops of palm trees everywhere. Children playing and calling out "hallo palagi" - meaning hi european. You forget the world exists when you visit Samoa. There are many shops that are very western. There are night clubs and bars. Apia is set round a bay and on the water front there is the market that always has fresh produce on hand.

At certain times of the year Samoa has running rain. You are able to see the rain coming towards you, giving you fair warning to get under cover before you get drenched. It can be quite hot and sometimes you welcome the downfall. I made my way down to the market place where the locals had spread themselves out (under cover) to sell there wares from fruit to vegetables, fish and clothing.

I happen to be the only european in one particular section of the market and as one only reads about, I went for a skate on a banana skin much to the delight of everyone around me where there was an explosion of laughter. You just had to laugh along with them. No damage done and it was funny! If you visit Samoa just be aware of the mosquitoes. They seem to like fresh blood but this is a minor discomfort (soon fixed with cream or spray) to the welcome you will receive and the laughter and smiles on faces everywhere.

There are many beautiful swimming spots and coves. Oh and if the wind gets up, don't sit directly under a coconut palm because if one of those things fell and hit you on the head, you would probably be spending the rest of your holiday in the local hospital for concussion. A most enjoyable experience.

khelzy09

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 01:08:17 AM »
thanks for the info..

kingsmith

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:50:43 PM »
Such beautiful people everywhere throughout the Samoan islands. In American Samoa I was greeted with the same friendly, laid back, people I met in the Independant Samoa. The only difference, is they speak with an American accent. Of course culturally it is different as the American Samoa people have stronger ties to the US now.

jacoboliva

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »
Hi,
Samoa is a very amazing place all the islands there are very fine to visit. Here this is very good site to get full details regarding this place.Also the advices here are very useful for us.As i want to say is While many visitor attractions are open on Sunday, you are expected to behave quietly and to travel slowly through villages. If you are ever in any doubt, ask your host or a village member. And remember to smile lots, you’ll always get a smile in return.

adam123

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 07:49:58 AM »
These are really nice and good travel tips which you are going and i really glad to see here about these tips thank you for sharing with us about such Samoa travel tips.

bestvietnamtour

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 01:54:10 AM »
The Pacific's best kept secret (oops, just let the cat out of the bag!)

Fa'a Manu Samoa!

I love you, and always will.

The ocean, the people, the food (seafood - yum x100!), the atmosphere (thatched hut on the beach - paradise or what?), cheap (reasonably), uncrowded, friendly, warm (naturally!), clean...

My island hideaway, but not yours! I don't want anyone else on 'my' beach!!

Edward Collin

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 03:53:09 AM »
Even though i haven't been to this Samoa island, i can imagine how beautiful is the place with these reviews. Thanks for the information given.
As being the outdoor enthusiast, i love like this place and hoping that i will be going there once in my lifetime.

petersumpters

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 03:13:42 AM »
It's a great beach holiday.
Mt Hotham Accommodation

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum