iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: Remember John Kneubuhl?  (Read 5450 times)

ipacific

• Administrator
Remember John Kneubuhl?
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »

John Kneubuhl was born in American Samoa in 1920 and made quite a mark on Hollywood and television. He even wrote for Wild Wild West, Star Trek and Hawaii-5-O among manyothers.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0460711/

I met him when he returned to Samoa and enjoyed his advice about writing and adventures in Hollywood.
Any Samoan actors here who were in
Adventures in Paradise: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0505625/ ?
John told some fun stories about those days. I'd like to hear of anyone else with memories of him and his work.

bobfuhrel

Re: Remember John Kneubuhl?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 07:44:45 PM »
I was honored to know John Kneubuhl in a number of ways.  Jophn basically created the bilingual English-Samoan curriculum for the American Samoan public school system, and he taught me a great deal about the beautiful Samoan language. We were friends and members together in Le Si'uleo o Samoa, a writers' group, in the early 1980's and again in the mid '80's.  John invited me to take his class called Samoan Language in Its Cultural Setting at American Samoa Community College, where I taught English from 1979 until 1983 and again from 1986 'til 1988.  My wife Francie and I with other friends spend many unforgettable afternoons with John and Dotsie at their home.  When we moved to the Big Island, John came to direct _Our Town_, the famous play by Thornton Wilder, a mentor of John, and he visited us at Wainaku Terrace in Hilo.  A number of former Samoan residents acted in the play under John's direction.  We last saw John in Honolulu after his surgery for prostate cancer.  He returned to Samoa and he died there.  Francie and I will never forget John or Dotsie and the many wonderful times we shared. He was a marvelous host, someone whose accomplishments visitors and friends would never know about unless they sought them out because John was completely unassuming, so down to earth in the true fa'asamoa.  John Kneubuhl, Nupo to some, was a postive jewel,and I'm so happy that others are asking about him.  I have two other friends who knew John far better than I, but without their permission, I can't reveal their names.  However, I feel completely safe in saying that we all loved John Kneubuhl dearly.

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum