iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: Who are the palagi?  (Read 8465 times)

Tavita Tusitala

• Administrator
Who are the palagi?
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:09:06 PM »
Palagi is the Samoan word for foreigner of Caucasian origin.

The traditional word is papalagi, (pah-pah-la-ngi) but usually is used in the shortened form palagi.  (pah-la-ngi)

The name papalagi ( sky-pierciing) was given by the Samoans to the European sailors whose ships had tall "sky-piercing" masts.
It has lost that connotation and simply means white foreign people.

Some academicians are trying to create another origin for that word, but I never heard any other origin of that word in Samoa.

Americans are palagi, Australians are palagi, Germans are palagi.

It also refers to a cultural difference, the palagi way or the Samoa way. 

Talalupelele

Re: Who are the palagi?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »
Tavita, with all due respect, I would have to disagree with your definition and here is why;
THE WORD FOR HEAVEN/SKY IS "LANI" or "LAGI" (in most polynesian cultures)
Transliteration of the Term "Pa'a Palagi" (Heavens bursted forth, came forth white being)... The people living during the arrival of the first white europeans/mariners coined the term in an "Awe inspiring" manner--they were AMAZED and shocked upon seeing the gods return from the horizon/sky as we promised in legends that were passed down. (I provide more evidence via Queen Lilioukalani's transcript below)
 8)Here is exerpt from an online dictionary;
[Hawaiian Dictionary(Hwn to Eng)]
lani
1. nvs. Sky, heaven; heavenly, spiritual. ʻAi lani (1 Kor. 10.3), spiritual food. Mai ka lani nō ā ka honua, from heaven to earth (fig., suddenly, without rhyme or reason). (PPN langi.)
2. nvs. Very high chief, majesty; host (Isa. 34.4); royal, exalted, high born, noble, aristocratic. This meaning is most common in personal names, as Lei-lani, royal child or heavenly lei; Pua-lani, descendant of royalty or heavenly flowers. Cf. kamalani, kuhilani. Ka-lani-ana-ʻole (name), the incomparably exalted one. hoʻo.lani
a. To treat as a chief; to render homage to a chief; to act as a chief; to enjoy the position and prestige of a high chief.
Further evidence, from a sister-culture…
The hawaiian word was originally "Hauli" and never "Haole"
hauli
n. This word is used idiomatically with lele and hoʻolele, and may be related to mauli. Lele ka hauli, greatly shocked, astonished, moved, startled, frightened. Auwē! lele kā hoʻi koʻu hauli, oh, how startled I am. He kaua hoʻolele hauli, alarm; shocking events.
Now guess what 'lele" means?
[Hawaiian Dictionary(Hwn to Eng)]
lele
1. nvi. To fly, jump, leap, hop, skip, swing, bounce, burst forth; to sail through the air, as a meteor; to rush out, as to attack; to get out of, as from a car; to dismount, as from a horse; to land, disembark, as from a canoe; to undertake; to move, as stars in the sky; to move, as in checkers; a jump, leap, attack. (For lele with emotional words, see ex., hauli, kūpilikiʻi; also cf. haʻalele.) Mea lele, flyer. Lele māmā, fly swiftly, dart. Mea lele mua, aggressor. Ka lele mua, the first to play or speak [in a riddling contest); the first sorcery victim (J. [Joseph] S. Emerson, 20). Kanaka lele, angel [old name]. Lele maila ia uwē (FS 57), tears poured forth. Ua lele ka hanu o Moa, Moa's breath has departed [he has died]. See also ʻuhane. I hewa nō iāʻoe i ka lele mua, it is your fault for attacking first. ʻĀmama, ua noa, lele wale (For. 5:413), finished, free of taboo, fly on [of the taboo and prayer]. hoʻo.lele To cause to fly; to fly, as a kite; to disembark, to embark, as on a project; to palpitate, as the heart; to enlarge or project, as pictures. Hoʻolele leo, radio broadcast, broadcaster, microphone, ventriloquism, ventriloquist. Hoʻolele hua kēpau, to set type. Kiʻi hoʻolele, enlargement of a picture. Mea hoʻolele leo, microphone. Mea hoʻolele kiʻi, picture projector. E hoʻolele mai i nā kānaka, disembark the people. (PPN lele.)
Samoa muamua le Atua? God first, right? So let’s go to the Bible and see when/why this happened?
The people who witnessed the white-god’s appearance were in SHOCK and gave them the names that we still use today. Imagine seeing a prophetic event come fruition as you stand on the beautiful beach in Samoa watching this event?
Just like the Spanish conquistadors upon arriving in South America, as well as the Islanders of the Pacific, they were SHOCKED and fearful that the sky-people were here on earth as promised by their ancestors.
It is quite shocking once you've uncovered the TRUTH from the bible and understand how angels descended down in the book of Genesis, mated with daughters of Adam and produced GIANTS known as Nephilim (fallen ones)... The HEAVENS did crack open and the sons of god left their habitation traversing space and coming down with intentions to corrupt YHVH's earth.
Furthermore, as promised, here is evidence from the MOUTH of Queen Liliuokalani!
she said, when referring to Capt Cook and his travels in the South Pacific.
Queen of Hawaii Sacred Text found at http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/lku/lku01.htm
This is the very chant which was sung by Puou, the High Priest of our ancient worship, to Captain Cook whom they had surnamed Lono, one of the four chief gods, dwelling high in the heavens, but at times appearing on the earth. This was the cause of the deification of Captain Cook under that name, and of the offerings to him made at the temple or Heiau at Hikiau, Kealakekua, where this song was rendered.
Captain Cook's appearance was regarded by our people then as a confirmation of their own traditions. For it was prophesied by priests at the time of the death of Ka-I-i-mamao that he, Lono, would return anew from the sea in a Spanish man-of-war or Auwaalalua. To the great navigator they accordingly gave a welcome with the name of Lono.
I would like to debate this topic with anyone and everyone who has something to add, with your blessing and approval of course? I am not here to disrespect or disrupt, I am here to learn and to share with my People.  You have my email, as a Moderator and you can send me email if you prefer to go private with this subject. Fa’afetai lava, Talalupelele Moe.

ipacific

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
Hi Lupe,
Please share your views. Meanings change with the times, what is your understanding?

Talalupelele

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »
Thanks for allowing me to share my notes with you. But, as I mentioned I am more interested in LEARNING from you and your visitors. I am fascinated and it is my personal mission to LEARN as much as possible, prior to my visit. Do you currently reside in Samoa?

Lupe M

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum