iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: $7.5 million for road projects in East American Samoa  (Read 5569 times)

ipacific

• Administrator
$7.5 million for road projects in East American Samoa
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:36:27 AM »
$7.5 million for road projects for Eastern American Samoa

UTULEI – Friday, March 19, 2010 - Projects for $7.5 million of road projects in the Eastern District, with road improvements from Atu'u to Lauli'i, and in Tula and Onenoa.

Atu’u to Lauli’i: On Wednesday, March 17th in Leloaloa, a ground breaking ceremony was held for the resurfacing, restoration and rehabilitation of the section of the main road from Atu’u to Breaker’s Point in Lauli’i. The 2.6 mile long road project will include improvement of the existing asphalt concrete pavement, drainage system and roadside structures. The project has been awarded to McConnell Dowell at a cost of $6.2 million and will take 8 months to complete.

The Resurfacing, Restoration and Rehabilitation (3R) road project is funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act through the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration. The actual amount of the project is $6,255,934.

Tula and Onenoa: Today, Friday, March 19th in Tula and Onenoa, village and county chiefs joined Governor Togiola to break ground for the start of road improvements in their respective villages.

The Tula road project is a 1700 foot, two-lane inland road with sidewalk, drain pipes, pipe culverts and concrete swale at a cost of $540,337. The project, to be completed in 9 months, has been awarded to Mr. Sila Poasa and Tony’s Construction.

In Onenoa, the village road and shoreline revetment project has been awarded to Samoa Maritime. The project will reconstruct and improve 938 feet of concrete road through the village and 300 feet shoreline embankment support to prevent erosion and waterfront soil stabilization. The road project will include a sidewalk and a pedestrian footbridge crossing along Vaisa Stream. The cost of the project is $748,863.

Both the Tula and Onenoa road projects are partially funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation – Federal Highway Administration and also funded from the Eastern District allocation of $1 million for capital improvement project for identified and prioritized village projects.

Governor Togiola expressed his thanks,
“This is big money and a big project.”

“We continually work to improve our roads for the safety and convenience of the travelling public and it also contributes to a better appearance of our villages,” said Governor Togiola. “And these funds benefit our island community and it brings us joy this week in the Eastern District to share these blessings for our village residents in Atu’u, Leloaloa, Lepua, Aua, Onesosopo and Lauli’i, and also in Tula and Onenoa. This is big money and a big project and I thank the villages, the Department of Public Works, U.S. Department of Transportation and all the contractors for their contribution in working together.”

billjhon323

Re: $7.5 million for road projects in East American Samoa
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:45:39 PM »
its really would be a good projects I will appreciate to the project management for this project.

Pago

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 01:19:40 PM »
Love those helmets and work shoes.

Samoa Tasi

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
I can't be sure, but it looks like that is the governor under the umbrella!

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum