American Samoa > Samoan Food

Samoan Food Recipes

(1/4) > >>

alofasamoa:
Just asking for people to list some of their favorite types of samoan foods and how to cook them.
Thanks.

ipacific:
I am not a very good cook, but  Palusami is a must.

Here is a version with an oven and corned beef.
Anyone traditionalists wrap meat or fish in taro leaves and cook in the 'umu?

Palusami casserole

20 oz of spinach leaves
1 (12 ounce) can corned beef, broken into pieces
2 (10 ounce) cans coconut milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Make a layer of spinach leaves in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with some of the corned beef, then keep repeating layers of spinach and corned beef until you run out of spinach. Don't worry about how full the dish is because the spinach will shrink as it cooks. Pour both cans of coconut milk over the dish, pressing the leaves down with a spoon.
Cover tightly with a lid or aluminum foil.

Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until spinach has completely wilted and the sauce is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Some people like to put dill or onions in there too :)

alofasamoa:
thanks for recipe. My husband is in Alaska working but when he comes back I will have to try it on him. Do you have any good recipes using turkey tail other then on the bbq (which I think is the best).
I'm also trying to get the recipe for the "Samoan" version of chop suey. I know there is usually turkey tail or corn beef in it and soy sauce... thanks for the help

Kristin Tupuola:
A RECIPE FOR TURKEY TAIL-
MAKE A SWEET SAUCES….. WHAT WE DO IS TAKE SOY SAUCE, SUGAR, GARLIC AND WATER TO HELP MAKE THE SOY SAUCE NOT TO SAULTY.
SOAK THE TURKEY TAIL IN THE SOY SAUCE MIX AND FRY IN A PAN.
SERVE WITH A VEGATABLE AND RICE.

THE CHOP SUEY. Or I think this can be called chal main (can't spell it lol)
Again we use a soy sauce mix. You can make it salty this time…… not too salty.
We don’t use turkey tail or corn beef. However we do use steak or beef (which I guess you could cook corn beef too.)
Cabbage
Carrots
Cucumbers
Potatoes.
CHOP it all up and cook together in a pot. Taste yummmmmmy. You can serve with rice very yummy.

Found this off the internet
IDK how good it sounds :) but I don’t think I would eat it. I have also ate something with bananas and coconut milk that I did not enjoy. :)

Lu'au/Palusami

Lu'au is probably the dish that Samoa is most famous for and once eaten will never be forgotten. It is made from the leaves of the taro plant and coconut cream, however onions now tend to be added to it. The coconut cream, onions and some taro are wrapped up in whole taro leaves and, ideally, cooked in an umu. When cooked the parcel of taro leaves is opened and the contents eaten.

The taste is impossible to describe, but suffice it to say that this is truly a food fit for the Gods.

If you cannot obtain taro leaves it possible to produce a pale imitation using spinach. Take 2 pounds (1kg) of chopped spinach, two finely diced large onion and a pound of coconut cream. Boil the spinach for about 25 minutes, so that it is horribly overcooked, and fry the onions until they are soft and brown. Mix both of these together in a frying pan, add the coconut cream and salt to taste. Simmer this over a low heat for about 45 minutes.

We also. Cut up potatoes, chicken, onions. And bake with soy sauce. It is yummy. Serve with rice 

alofasamoa:
thanks for the recipe.
but the chop suey recipe that I am looking for is not served over rice, it has noodles in it. They are clear looking. And the meat in it is either turkey tail or corn beef(canned) depends on who makes it. All the samoans I know make it that way, but everytime I ask what they use they wont tell me.
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version