iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: Samoan Flag day address 2010 in English and Samoan  (Read 8606 times)

ipacific

• Administrator
Samoan Flag day address 2010 in English and Samoan
« on: April 20, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
Saturday, April 17, 2010
“What can I do for myself that would also help my country?

– Governor Togiola Tulafono today in his Flag Day address challenged the people of American Samoa to review their self-worth and self-esteem which results from “doing something good for your country.”

After welcoming Samoa Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi and Mrs. Gillian Malielegaoi, the Titular Head of Tokelau (Ulu o Tokelau) Aliki Faipule - Kuresa Nasau, His Serene Highness Prince Tungi of Tonga, New Zealand Consul General to American Samoa & High Commissioner to Samoa - Caroline Bilkey, Australian High Commissioner to Samoa - Matt Anderson,
Chief Justice Lealaialoa Michael Kruse and Mrs. Gail Kruse, Senate President Gaoteote Palaie Tofau, House Speaker Savali Talavou Ale and Mrs. Satala Ale, Samoan Affairs Secretary Tufele Fa’ato’ia Li’amatua and Mrs. Tofiga Tufele, members of the Cabinet, guests from the U.S. military, federal government, the dance groups from Don Bosco Technical Centre in Samoa, Vailoatai, American Samoa and all participants of 2010 Flag Day, Governor Togiola presented the following address:

2010 Flag Day Address
by Governor Togiola T.A. Tulafono
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Veterans Memorial Stadium
Tafuna, American Samoa

DO THEM FOR YOURSELF, DO THEM FOR YOUR COUNTRY:
“WHAT CAN I DO FOR MYSELF THAT WOULD ALSO HELP MY COUNTRY?”

Half a century ago, President John F. Kennedy, in his famous Inaugural speech in 1961, asked a question that challenged Americans to renew their commitment to their country; to show once again the rugged individualism that made America great. He asked each American to personally review his contribution to his country. That question is the most often quoted query of our time: “ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY” - a challenge to review self-worth, and to feel the self-esteem that results from knowing you have done something good for your country.

In my farewell message as Student Body President of Samoana High School in June 1966, I posed the same immortal words of President Kennedy to my classmates and to our younger generations, to examine their own commitments as they move forward in life.

Ironically, 50 years ago today, the American Samoa flag containing an outward “V” design with the American bald eagle holding the traditional Samoan “fue” and “uatogi”, was introduced by the first Governor of Samoan descent – Peter Tali Coleman. The flag was the vision of a 19 year old student who is now a pastor and a teacher, and will retire at the end of the school year after 30 years at the Department of Education - Uinifareti Sotoa of Manu’a.

How do I see these events merging? Our flag highlights our cultural dedication to serving others, be it war or oratory, thus the “uatogi” and the “fue”; The essence of the President’s challenge to all generations of Americans. For in serving others in our work or our business, we are in fact doing it for our government.

To rephrase the question, ask yourself: “WHAT CAN I DO FOR MYSELF THAT WOULD ALSO HELP MY COUNTRY?” “HOW CAN I HELP MY COUNTRY HELP ME?”
That’s my simple message for this Flag Day. Think of the little things you do for yourself. They may be small and insignificant. But when you do them right, purposefully, and with dedication, they will create a good life for you, and for your country. Think of how many savings you can generate for your government, when you yourself do those little things. Whatever your government saves lessens your burden.

I repeat this presidential challenge now, because I feel we need to fight the dependence on government for everything. I believe we can meet that challenge by doing many little things that we are capable of. If you can do them for yourselves, why not do them for your country? That is a lesson I learned from my Saturday morning radio program, “Mo Lou Silafia.”

Many, if not most, of our population believe that our government is responsible for everything, from prenatal care all the way to old age and beyond.

Two weeks ago, a woman caller complained that for years, there’s been a plumbing leak at their village school, a health hazard for their children. They are waiting for the government to come and fix it. I am amazed that there are parents who are willing to send their children to such health risk facility for years, and not do anything about it. I just can’t believe it. Is the government responsible? YES! But if the government is unaware of the problem, are you willing to just sit and do nothing? I am reminded of the story about a department inspector who did no inspection for a whole year because the departmental car assigned to him had a flat tire, and he was waiting for Motor Pool to come and fix it.

When government dependency gets to that point, our self-worth and self-respect are bankrupt. There’s a vacuum where the spirit of self-help used to be. Compare that little plumbing leak to the feat of sailing vast oceans on small alias. Have we become so weak and fearful of doing work for ourselves?

Thomas Jefferson said, “Government exists to do for the people, what they cannot do for themselves.”That is right. Government should build schools, hospitals, roads, airports, provide electricity, water supplies and other major works that you and I cannot do for ourselves. But you can fix a flat tire and a small plumbing leak at your school; you can put empty cans in bins, and join the Parent Teacher Association. You can be health-conscious and save the hospital thousands of dollars each year. You can teach, watch, and control your children – and save all the hard costly work by the police, social services, and other agencies of government.

WHAT CAN I DO FOR MY COUNTRY? Do the small things you are capable of. They cost little or nothing, and in the process you are helping your country and its government.

I want to recommend SMALLNESS. Small is beautiful, practical and well within our means and abilities. It’s an old lesson: The sum total of the small things done right, create great wonderful results.

Since the recent economic woes of our nation, the words “economy, economize, economics, national economy” – (tamaoaiga) have entered our vocabulary and engaged our thinking, in many real ways. Let me suggest a small list of small things that you can do to economize, and in the process help our overall economy, and our country.

Plant a tree. Join the GREEN movement. Believe me – its an urgent global environmental need. You have that responsibility as a citizen of the globe.
Plant a banana, papaya, or a few taro tops. I have some of these plants around Government House. You would be surprised at the food you can grow and money you can save. That’s a move for economy.

ENERGY CONSERVATION
The cost of electricity continues to rise. Consider the alternatives. They will require some investment, but in time, you will be seeing a vast reduction in your costs. I am talking about putting a few solar panels on your house, a small windmill for your village, or for a combination of families. If there’s extra power, you can sell it back to the government.

We are involved in conducting research about a tree that produces electricity. When we bring that tree here - plant a few on your land or around your house. Use those acres of vacant family lands.

Regarding usage: make a habit of turning off lights, fans, radios, and ovens not in use. Try a “lights off” one hour earlier each night policy; cut TV time; combine laundry; use sunlight to dry clothes and save electricity; check the water system in your house often for leaks; turn on the water only when needed, take a cold shower some time.

To ASG employees: You are still under orders to turn off lights, fans, and office equipment each day before going home. These are not new ideas, and they are not major jobs. Make them parts of your lifestyle and work habits.

WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP YOUR COUNTRY? DO THOSE LITTLE THINGS. THEY ADD UP. Huge pickup trucks with only one or two riders fill our roads. I drive a small car to work most days now. Believe me, it’s great fun. Small cars are less expensive to purchase and maintain. I save a great deal of gasoline. I save the wear and tear on the road. It’s very convenient; you can park almost anywhere.
Avoid unnecessary driving. Grocery shopping should be done only once a week, not several times each day. If the family can fit in one car, leave the other one at home.

Start a small business: learn sewing, cooking, carpentry, plumbing, painting weaving, etc. You can sell that service and also do your own. How about raising chickens, or pigs, for sale?

Learn Defensive Living Styles

Avoid disputes and fights; Make friends with neighbors; Stay healthy. It is expensive to be sick. That expense falls on both you and your government which owns and runs the hospital.

Make teenage smoking, underage drinking, drug abuse, unwanted pregnancies and youth crimes in general – your enemies. Fight them! Teenage crimes and troubles are expensive.

Reset your lifestyles: economize wherever you can: Turn off the TV and read a book.
Go watch your children play in school sports, or perform in school plays. Support our local artists; go see their shows and displays. None of these things cost money. Yet, they make life more enjoyable.

In closing, let me ask you again, WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY? WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO DO? I have given you a very small list of many small things; small but real ways in which you can help.

You cannot build a school, but you can certainly make it easier for the government if you prepare your children to come to school eager to learn.

You cannot build a hospital, but you can certainly help cut the cost of health care and the hospital by staying healthy.

You and I have no control over the cost of the fuel oil that turns our electric generators, but we can certainly control our use of electricity.

These and a multitude of other small things will make a great total. You want to economize? Consider a change of attitude about sizes. Think about changing a few routines of daily living.

What can you do for your country? You can find the answer in the list I just gave you.

Have a wonderful Flag Day today. May God bless America. May God bless American Samoa.

---------------------------------------------------

SAUNOAGA
Sisigafu‘a 2010
Kovana Togiola T.A. Tulafono
Aso To’ona’i, 17 Aperila 2010
Malae i Lupelele
Veterans Memorial Stadium
Tafuna, Tutuila, Amerika Samoa

“O LE A SA‘U MEA O FAI MO A’U LAVA, AE FAI MA O’U SAO MO LO’U MALO?” “O A NI ALA OU TE FESOASOANI AI I LO’U MALO, INA IA FAIGOFIE IA TE IA ONA FESOASOANI MAI IA TE A’U?”

E muamua ona ‘ou faatalofa ma faatulou atu i le auau tetele o le taeao mamalu; aso ua ‘ula; taeao sa lupe. E lē o se taeao o le moe ‘ite‘ite ma le ‘apo ‘apo tao, a o le taeao ua fuga ai le ‘oli’oli, a e la‘ei i le matagofie o le Atua. Ua a’e i fanua le vaa na tau mai tai o le ‘au vala’aulia; a’emalō foi lau tiuga Tutuila ma Manua, mai lena Sisigafu’a, e oo mai i lenei. Lea ua tatou ‘aleaga i malae o manū, ma ‘oa ‘oa i le faasoa agalelei a le Tapaau i le Lagi.

Faatulou atu i le pa’ia o Sui vaaia o le Atua.
Faatulou ou pa’ia le Faleagafulu ma le Manua Tele.
Faatulou ou mamalu faaleMalo, Amerika Samoa.
Faatulou i le pa’ia ma le mamalu o le ‘au valaaulia:

Afioga Le Palemia o le Malo o Samoa – Tuilaepa Lupesoliai Sailele Malielegaoi ma le Faletua;
Afioga i le Perenise o le Malo Tonga – Prince Tungi;
Afioga i le Ulu o Tokelau – Kuresa Nasau
Mamalu o Malo mai le Malo Tele o le Iunaite Setete, Afioga Faleomavaega Eni, ae maise le Department of Homeland Security, FEMA ma le Military; Sui o Ausetalia; Sui o Niu Sila; Malaga faapitoa mai Korea.

Ua te’a le inati sa o le Tapaau Tasi.  Ua ta’oto i lāgo lelei upu o le taeao fesilafa’i, i le saunoaga a le Fofoga o le Aso. Ou te lē toe taia la ulugalu pe lūlū fuga o laau.

O Aso o Sisigafu’a e toe tepa ai i le savaliga faaMalo, i le va o Sisigafu’a. O se tausaga faigata le 2009. Setema na lūlū ai le mafui’e a e laga le galu fasi tagata. A o Tesema na tapunia ai le Samoa Packing ma aveese atu ai galuega e 1000 ma ona tupu.

A e faauta i le alofa o le Atua, o lea ua toe folau malie le sa o Tutuila ma Manua. Faafetai i le aao foa’i o le Malo Tele ma ona lālā eseese; faapea le alofa tula’i o faalapotopotoga, pisinisi, ekalesia, aemaise le mamalu o Samoa o loo ee pāpā aao i fafo.  Faafetai, Faafetai, Faafetai tele.

O LOU SAO MO LOU MALO

O le limasefulu lenei o tausaga talu ona faate’i e Peresetene Keneti tagatānuu o Amerika i lana lauga o lona faau’uga mo le tofi Peresitene o le Iunaite Setete: “SOIA LE FESILI PO O LE A SE MEA E FAI E LOU MALO MO OE, A E FESILI POO LE A SOU SAO O FAI MO LOU MALO.”

I le tusi “Mataala” a Samoana i le 1966, sa ou faatula’i ai lea lu’i i lo’u tofi Peresitene o le A’oga, mo tupulaga a’oa’oina i lea a’oga a le Malo, ona sa ou lagona le taua o le toe faamanatu i a matou auga tupulaga, lea lu’itau, a o aga atu mo le lalolagi tele ma le sailia o se lumana’i. O le taimi lea sa ou matauina ai le tupu tele o le soifua faalagolago i le Malo e faia mea uma lava mo tagata ta’ito’atasi. Ua vaaia le faaitiitia o le soifua atina’e o le tagata, ae ua naunau i le faalagolago i mea e fai e isi mo ia.

O le limasefulu tausaga tonu fo’i lenei o le ulua’i faalauiloaina o le tagavai a Amerika Samoa, le fu’a lea sa tusia e le alii faife’au faia’oga o Fareti Sotoa, ma faalauiloa e le ulua’i Samoa na Kovana mo le Malo o Amerika Samoa, Pita Tali Kolumane, i le toe tausaga o lana ulua’i nofoa’iga.

O le a le fesoota’iga a ia mea tetele e lua? I a te a’u lava ia, o le lu’i na faatula’i e le Peresitene faau’u, ma mafaufauga atia’e o se tama a’oga 19 tausaga, e fesoota’i i le malosi o le lagona LOTONU’U fiaaoga mo lona atunuu, ae le fia faalagolago e faia mea uma mo ia e lona malo.

O le fesili poo iai pea le loto tauivi na faavae ai le Malo; poo ola pea le lotonuu; se’i toe sasaa le fafao a e iloilo le tautua Malo a tagatanuu uma. Poo ua e malie ea i lou sao, lau maa ua lafo mo lou Malo?

A ou toe faaupuina, ona faapea lea: “O LE A SA‘U MEA O FAI MO A’U LAVA, A E FAI MA O‘U SAO MO LO’U MALO?” “O A NI ALA OU TE FESOASOANI AI I LO’U MALO, INA IA FAIGOFIE IA TE IA ONA FESOASOANI MAI IA TE A’U?” 

O la’u fe’au lena o lenei Sisigafu’a. O mea e te faia mo oe lava ia poo sou uso a tagata i le agaga fesoasoani, o mea fo’i ia ua e faia mo lou Malo. O galuega lelei fo’i e te mafaia i lau lava galuega pool au pisisinisi e tautua a’i ou tagata nuu, o mea fo’i ia ua e faia mo lou Malo. Pe laiti la mea e te mafaia; pe foliga faatauvaa; a e a sa’o ona fai, lelei le faamoemoe na fai ai, ma tini le faamoemoe, e tupu ai se manuia tele.  Mea laiti faapena e tuu faatasi – e fau ai mea tetele.

Ua ‘ou toe lagaina le lu’itau a Keneti, ona ua malosi le lagona - ua tatau ona tatou tetee le faalagolago i le Malo i mea uma. Afai e mafai ona tatou faia mea lelei laiti mo tatou lava, aiseā e toe faalagolago ma faatali ai fua i le Malo?
O le lagona mai le porokarama o le Aso Toonai, “Mo Lou Silafia.” Lua vaiaso talu ai na faaseā ai le tasi tinā. Fai mai e iai le paipa e liki i lo latou falea’oga, ua lamatia ai le soifua malōlōina o a latou fanau. Ua fia ma fia tausaga o faatali pea le Malo e lē i o atu lava e fai le paipa. Ua ou ofo! Ofo faanoanoa i ni mātua e mafai ona tuu atu fanau i lenei falea’oga, ma le iloa lelei e lamatia ai latou i ni ma’i faigata, a e lē gaoioi e fō’ia le faafitauli.
E moni o falea’oga e fai e le Malo, a e afai e lē o iloa atu, a tuu lava la e lamatia ai pea fanau? Ua ou manatua ai le tala i le isi alii asiasi a le isi ofisa o le Malo. Uma lelei le tausaga e leai se asiasiga. E su’esu’e atu a e fai mai e pa le pa’u o le taavale lea e alu ai asiasiga, a o lea lava e faatali le OMV e omai e fai le pa’u!

A oo le faalagolago i le Malo i le tulaga lena, ua fuamoa le loto fuatiaifo, ua leai se faaaloalo o le tagata i lona lava tāua. Ua sola le mitamita i mea lelei. Faatusa le puni o si paipa pa ma le faiga o le pa’u taavale – i le malosi ma le loto tetele, lotonuu, na mafai ai e o tatou tua’ā ona folau mai i ‘alia laiti i maila e afe ma afe, i vasa e fia, ma taunuu mai i Samoa.

O le upu a peresetene Thomas Jefferson, “Ua faatū le malo na te faia mo tagata mea e lē mafai e le tagata ona fai mo ia lava.” Ioe, e sa’o. E fau e le malo falea’oga, falema’i, ala tetele, fale eletise, vai paipa ma isi galuega tatou te lē mafaia ona fai mo tatou lava. A e mafai ona tatou faia le pa’u o le taavale, ma togafiti si mămă o le paipa o le falea’oga. Faigofie ona e aapa e lafo le atigi’apa i le kalone, ma e ‘auai i le sosaiete a Mātua ma Faia’oga. A puipui lou soifua malōlōina, ua faasao miliona e fia a le falema’i. A a’oa’o ma pulea lelei lau fanau – ua faasao isi galuega e tele a leoleo, falema’i, ma isi ofisa e pisi soo ona o tamaiti amio lē pulea.

O LE A SA’U MEA E FAI MO LO’U MALO? Manatu i mea laiti. E leai se tau. A e faaaoga ai lou taimi avanoa ma lou malosi. A lelei mo oe – e lelei foi mo lou Malo. E Matagofie mea Laiti. E mauagofie, ma e faigofie ona faaaoga. E lē o se lesona fou. Ua leva ona silafia e le lalolagi atoa – o le tuufaatasia o faatinoga sa’o o mea laiti, e fausia ai mea tetele ma le matagofie. E fau faapena Malo.

Ua taia pea i lau faafofoga le upu “tamaoaiga”, ma upu Peretania o le “economy, economize, national economy.” Lea faato’a pupula la tatou vaai i le tāua o le “tamaoaiga” i lo tatou soifuaga, ina ua afaina le tamaoaiga o le Malo atoa o le Unaite Setete. Se’i o’u talanoa atu la i le tāua o mea laiti i le tamaoaiga o le Malo.

Ua tau lē ofi le ala tele i piki ‘apu lapopo’ā, a e tasi pe lua le pasese. O lea ua ‘ou alu e faigaluega i le tele o aso i si tama’i taavale. E ‘ese le manaia. Ia faafofoga:

Laitiiti le tau, toe taugofie le tausiga
Laitiiti le kesi e alu ai
Laitiiti le āfāina ai o le ’auala tele
Faigofie ona ’ave, e faaofigofie i soo se paka
Laitiiti le avanoa e lavea ai i se faalavelave faafuase’i.
E lelei mo oe, ae sili ona lelei mo le Malo. Faaa’oa’o ona fai faatasi faatauga o le vaiaso, ae faasao le kesi e fealua’i ai. A ofi uma le aiga i le galuega ma le lotu i le taavale e tasi - tuu le isi.

Ua taugata tele le uila. E iai ala e faaitiitia ai le tau. Atonu e fai si taugata i le amataga, a e te lē toe popole i le siisii pea o le eletise. E a pe a faapipii ni nai tioata soulā (solar) i luga o lou fale?

E mafai e ni aiga se lima pe ono, poo le nuu atoa foi, ona fau sina vili matagi (windmill) e faatupu ai le eletise mo latou lava. A totoe le paoa e lē uma ona faaaoga, toe faatau mai i le Malo.

O loo fai nei sailiilliga e uiga i le laau e maua ai le eletise. A aumai, totō ni au laau. Faaaogā i ai fanua na e lē o faaaogaina.

Faaaoga Tatau, Faaaoga Faaeteete

Faapē moli, leitiō, TV, ili, A/C, ma soo se mea pe a lē o faaaogaina
Faaa’oa’o ona momoe vave i le po – i se itula se tasi
Faaa’oa’o ona ta’ele i le vai malūlū; faamago mea tatā i le la
Faapē le vai i soo se taimi e uma ai ona faaaoga; puni vave ni mama

Mo tagata faigaluega a le Malo, o lea e tumau le poloa’iga: faapepē molī, ili, ma masini eseese pe a manava i afiafi uma.

E lē ni aikia fou poo ni galuega mamafa; e leai ni tupe e alu ai. Tau a ina sui teisi  le soifuaga masani. Fesili: O LE A SA’U MEA E FAI MO LO’U MALO? O LE A SO’U SAO I LO’U MALO? Fai nai mea laiti na. E telē le tāua, pe a tatou faia faatasi.

Faaaoga le Eleele, o le mea alofa maua fua mai le Atua. Totō ni laau aoga. Fesoasoani i le taumafaiga FAALANUMEAMATA a le lalolagi atoa. O lo tatou olataga lea i le lumuna’i.

Totō se fa’i, se esi, ni nai tiapula ma laau fai mea ‘ai. E iai nai o’u laau faapena i le Mauga o Alii. ‘Ese le manaia o le faaaoga o fua o galuega a ou lava lima. E faasao ai foi isi seleni.

Fai sau Pisinisi

A’oa’o lau su’isu’i, kuka, kamuta, faipaipa, vali fale, ma isi. Pisinisi na ua lolofi mai nei tagata mai fafo e fai, a e tatou nofonofo. E tetele totogi. Fafaga ni manu po o ni mea i tua’olō. E aogā i taumafa ma faalavelave.

Atamai Faa’ātisi, Galuega Tau Lima

Toe faaiila, pe a’oa’o sau taleni o galuega tau lima ma mea faa’ātisi: Ta faatagata, tusi ata, fai se siapo, lalaga se fala poo se ili ma se ‘ato. E liu seleni pe a omai meli. O ALA LAITI E ATIA’E AI LOU TAMAOIGA, E FAATINO AI FOI LAU TAUTUA MALO.

Soifua i se Olaga Puipuia

‘Aua le faatupu pisa. Tausi le va lelei ma tuā’oi. Puipui lou soifua maloloina. Ua taugata le falema’i. Tetee fili o le tupulaga: inu pia ma le ulaula laiti, feusua’i laiti, fualaau faasāina, amioga lē taupulea ma le solitulafono.

Faape le TV a e faitau sau tusi.

Ua ou avatua sina lisi puupuu o mea laiti e mafai ona tatou faia e faalelei atili ai lo tatou soifuaga, a e ālafia ai la tatou fesoasoani i le Malo.

Tatou te lē mafaia ona fau ni falea’oga ma ni falema’i – a e mafai ona tapena tamaiti ia saunia lelei mo le a’oga, ma ‘alo’alo ‘ese i mea e ono tutupu ai ma’i. E leai so tatou leo i le tau o le suāuu e ola ai afi o le eletise, ae pule tatou i le faaaogaina o le eletise i ofisa ma pisinisi, aemaise aiga.
O LE A LA SOU SAO MO LE MALO? FAAPEFEA ONA FAATINO LAU TAUTUA MALO?

E maua lau tali i mea na ua ou ta’u atu. Tatou fagogota i tai o figota, ma ia lolo’u lou ’ofe, auā si o ta Malo. Faamanuia le Atua i taualumaga o totoe o lenei Sisigafu’a. Manū tatou te mafuta ai, manū tatou te tete’a ai pe tatala le filialii i se taimi o muamua.

Soifua.

brown-skin-girl

Re: Samoan Flag day address 2010 in English and Samoan
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »
i seriously dnt understand the language. samoan language: i dnt even understand wat they talkin bout, but im glad dat they ill do it for the country o for themselves.

gee by brown skiin girl

skyline1241

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:34:04 AM »

Thank you so much for your post.

DamienUsry

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:01:41 AM »

There were plenty of good points and energy conservation is vital one..We need to conserve energy and make use of alternative sources of energy for power generation.

Persay

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 04:15:50 AM »
Kind of different language but as long as they are doing something its nice
Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed

Wried1987

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 09:40:01 PM »
i seriously dnt understand the language. samoan language: i dnt even understand wat they talkin bout, but im glad dat they ill do it for the country o for themselves.

gee by brown skiin girl

yeah.. same here! I really dont understand their language but as long as its a good thing for their country so I might say  cool! :)

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum