iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: Tropical Cyclone Wilma hovered over American Samoa  (Read 3757 times)

Tavita Tusitala

• Administrator
Tropical Cyclone Wilma hovered over American Samoa
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »
Tropical Cyclone Wilma hovers over American Samoa, passes and moves towards Tonga

January 23, 2011 – The Tropical Cyclone Wilma warning for American Samoa was cancelled today at 6pm by the National Weather Service in Tafuna, who then issued a Gale Warning for the Territory.

Governor Togiola Tulafono expressed his sincere gratitude to all American Samoa first-responders for their collaboration in ensuring the Territory’s emergency preparedness level remained high during Tropical Cyclone Wilma, which has moved south of towards Tonga.

STATEMENT

We braced ourselves since Thursday for Tropical Cyclone Wilma and I join all of American Samoa to give thanks and praise to God for His protection and intervention, again. If you recall in early February of last year, God spared us from Cyclone Rene and more devastation from the natural disaster just four months before. We thank God for His grace, mercy and loving kindness in not allowing another setback for us, and so far, during this hurricane season.

I would also like to thank the people of American Samoa for their prayers. While we were in the shadow of a danger that we will never ever have any control, our collective prayer to God was our shield. We all know that when nature overstep its conventional boundaries, invade our land and spread chaos and disaster, our prayers to God is our comfort and strength.We thank Our Heavenly Father.

And I also want to thank our people for their preparation for the cyclone. Your government continues to work hard in making improvements to our emergency response by alerting our residents for early preparation. We made sure this happened starting on Thursday. Thank you to the people for being prepared.

I thank the American Samoa Department of Homeland Security and Director Tuala Mike Sala, our Territorial Emergency Management Coordinating Office and our emergency response operation, as well as our family of first responders - the National Weather Service, our government departments and agencies, and our volunteers for a remarkable team effort and support. I truly appreciate the high level of collaboration in our emergency preparedness, which was evident during our Cyclone Wilma response.

Thank you to all of our radio and television stations that greatly contributed in keeping our people informed throughout those long hours of waiting. You have the unmatched capacity to disseminate news and information when people need it most. Thank you for serving the people of American Samoa.

Thank you - all of you - for your commitment and dedication to our preparedness and readiness for emergencies that affect all of our families here in our island home. Fa’afetai.

Source: American Samoa Government

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum