iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: Retiring America Samoa ?  (Read 11445 times)

Barra1

Retiring America Samoa ?
« on: November 19, 2011, 01:51:27 PM »
I'm about to be married to a American Sar lady and I'm wondering how hard it will be if we want to retire in her home land? She grew up there but moved to NZ at the age of 14 , her relations are still there and I am a Aussie and we would rather retire somewhere peaceful . Any help would be great.
Wisdom will come to us after we are able to humble ourselves and admit we've made a mistake!

Tavita Tusitala

• Administrator
Re: Retiring America Samoa ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:22:46 AM »
The good thing is that because your wife is Samoan you can own property there together and probably have no problem with a long term visa for yourself. If the fa'alavelave does not worry you and her family has property you might be able to live with or next door...

Barra1

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:40:31 AM »
Thank you Tavita ,

It's our dream to retire in her homeland and after telling her of your reply she is excited and is starting find out more about her grass roots so to speak .As you may understand that as we all get older we start to focus on where we've come from so we may pass our knowledge onto the next generation , so that they don't forget either, and as far as you talk about fa'alavelave that's not a problem as over here in Western Australia we give what we can any time whether it's family or not and that is Gods way too .
Wisdom will come to us after we are able to humble ourselves and admit we've made a mistake!

Penina O le Vasaloloa

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »
You'll find it quite relaxed in American Samoa. If you are looking to put your roots down, so to speak...and the pace of life is agreeable with you and your family...then Pago is the spot.
You have to let it kind of "grow" on you, as you adjust to the tropical surroundings and all. The pace may beslow to some people who are so accustomed to fast tracked city life.Some people outside of Tutuila, who have been there,complain of the humidity, but I personally think that it is great for the pores...and you can actually break a good sweat just by walking, instead of feeling like you have to run a marathon in order to benefit from the exercise.

Food is affordable and it all depends on your tastes. There is the fastfood track...with McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and Kentcky Fried Chicken...oodles of eating places, small to medium sized eateries scattered about, Samoan,Japanese,Chinese,,Korean,Filipino run stores...mostly the Korean stores..you'll find scattered pockets of those, from one end of the island to the other. Shopping outlets in Fagatogo spread out to the east and towards the central Nu'u'uli and towards further west. Nu'uuli Shopping Center-FORSGRENS,COSTCO, ACE...gives you that feel of still keeping in touch with that "mainland" feel of Wholesale and Retail type stores.
 Comparative food shopping for the household is or should always be a budget conscious effort, in tracking those weekly specials and sales.

Housing/Rental..is pretty much affordable, and shouldn't be more than the projected cost of living.. and there are more rental income/housing projects(that were being built...last time I was there( May-Aug 2011).

There is still te one theater was Wallace, but I believe its changed to or called Hollywood Theater. But then, there are heaps of video rental places...as well lol

Well thats just a wee look into the island life there sofar....

Above all, be TRUE to yourself, and if you cannot put your HEART in it, take yourself out of it. " <

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum