iPacific.com | Samoa | Forum

Author Topic: Find your own beach  (Read 9547 times)

Tavita Tusitala

• Administrator
Find your own beach
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:26:06 PM »
All beaches are private and usually belong to the village next to them. It is best to ask the neighbors and usually they will say yes.
This beach is in Avaio Village in the eastern part of Tutuila and was called 2 dollar beach when we were there. The family always charged 2 dollars per person to use the beach. Maybe now it is $5 beach :)
The US government maps call this Lion's Head Rock, but Ian calls it Pyramid Rock.
The village matai (chief) Sala said it was just the rock at 2 dollar beach. Maybe another name would be the Giant Chia Pet Rock!
Photo is Lion's head rock, 2-dollar beach, Tutuila, used by permission from Ian Osborn, http://www.pacific-travel-guides.com

chithaanh119

Re: Find your own beach
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:07:55 PM »
Nice post! thanks for your information.

ipacific

• Administrator
$2 Dollar Beach
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
$2 Dollar Beach is a nice place to go. I spent a lot of time there when I lived in Avaio, Tutuila.

Every time Samoa has a hurricane, (expect it every 10 years! ) it blows the coconut palms down. The right side is lined with short palms. Maybe they are 5 years old and have some coconuts.

They are sure easier to climb when they are short!

From one angle it looks like Pyramid Rock as Ian called it, from the other side it looks like a seated lion.

However, it had no Samoan name when I was there.

It is one of the few nice spots tourists can come and for a fee enjoy going local.  All beaches are private in Samoa.

I spent many a Sunday afternoon under the palm shade listening to the wind rattle the fronds and the waves pound on the coral reef.  Time really stands still.

kristinerussell

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »
I must say those were great beaches, I hope I can visit those specially the Lion's Head.

MichaelHatcher

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:15:38 AM »
The islands of Tutuila has some of the most beautiful sceneries. Eastern Tutuila is easily reachable on the frequent Tula buses that wind along the southeast coast through the day.  At Alao and Tula are most beautiful sandy beaches.

zohanx747

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 12:52:57 AM »
It is one of the few nice spots tourists can come and for a fee enjoy going local.  All beaches are private in Samoa.

hibiscus iPacific | Samoa | Forum